Saturday, March 24, 2012

Life, the Universe, and Everything

I can't remember if Douglas Adams used the Oxford comma in the title of his book, which is from where I took the title of this post. The good news for all of you is that this isn't a post about the Oxford comma, or punctuation at all. Though now that I think about it, it's kind of astonishing that I've never written about that topic, since it's one of my favourite things to complain about. Nope, today I'm not thinking about how poor use of punctuation is a shocking demonstration of a world gone wrong. I'm thinking about blogging.



I've just been reading a whole bunch of blog posts by writer Justine Musk (justinemusk.com), who writes about creativity. She's inspiring and interesting and providing me with a veritable feast of food for thought. Her blog is a timely discovery for me, as it has very recently occurred to me that despite having always referred to this blog as a "travel blog" it frequently resembles nothing of the sort, and also, now that I'm sitting in my parents' basement, many people would not consider me to be travelling at all. So I have been thinking, if I'm not travelling, do I still keep writing? Do I have things to say? Is anyone interested in what I have to say? If it's not about travel, what am I writing about? And is there a point in writing a blog if no one is reading it?

These are the answers I've come up with so far:
1) Yes, I still keep writing, because
2) I always have things to say, and
3) I wouldn't want to assume that anyone is or is not interested in what I have to say but the stats on my blog show that occasionally, people do read this thing. Also,
4) I'm writing about whatever I feel like in a particular moment, which is what I've always done anyway. Because "travel" is a subjective term and doesn't always relate to geography, and because (see #2). And finally,
5) Perhaps many bloggers (and non-bloggers for that matter) would disagree, but yes, I think there is a point in writing a blog even if no one reads it. I write because it feels good to write and it helps me clarify my thoughts and feelings. It's part of my learning and growth processes.

I shall carry on as I have from the outset, writing for myself and for anyone who cares to read what I have to say, without worrying about the numbers or the stats or my followers. I'm not blogging as a source of income, or to build my public profile, or for a host of other perfectly legitimate reasons to write a blog. My reasons may change, as my blog will change and as I do - it's part of the growth process - which does not necessarily mean expansion, BTW.

So from now on, I won't refer to this as a "travel blog." It's about Life, the Universe, and Everything - which should give me adequate scope to cover whatever the heck I feel like.



No comments:

Post a Comment